II Peter 3:9
Central Theme: God is patient with everyone.
Introduction– I had purchased a new jasmine vine that that I brought to show. My other vine was killed in a hurricane. It took me a long time to replace it because I was really sad that the other one died. It had grown so large that it was a shelter for my back yard. Do you think a man of God should be more concerned about a dead plant than he is a city like Vero Beach or Melbourne, Florida? (Insert your city.)
I. Have a member read II Peter 3:9
- Tell the story of Jonah.
- Show a dead plant.
- Jonah wanted God to kill all the people in the city on Ninavah. But he was so angry he wanted to die rather than live because his vine had died. (Jonah 4)
II. God is patient with everyone.
- He does not want anyone to have an unhappy life or die without Him.
- A. There was a time that I got angry with some people who were gossiping about me. There were actually times I wanted them to die.
- B. God helped me to love them because He loves them.
- This is how God will help me to be patient with people, especially people who are being hateful to me.
A. God helps me remember that God loves that person as much as he loves me.
B. God helps me find out good things about that person.
C. God helps me think good thoughts about the person when he or she is not with me. I find that we usually like people when we are with them. But we will think bad thoughts when there are not with us.
a. Many times when they are not with us, we think about what the people did or said. Then we get angry.
Conclusion–God is patient and he can help me to be patient with other people.